Friday, February 24, 2012

Pinned it, made it: Earl Grey cake + rhubarb/vanilla bean jam

Two of my favorite things in the world: Earl Grey tea & rhubarb. When I pinned this recipe from Rasperri Cupcakes, I knew I had to try it out - sooner than later.


I made a couple of tweaks to the recipe. Rather than bake it in a round cake pan, I decided to go with  loaf pans. I doubled her recipe and got four mini loaves. The cakes were a bit on the large size though, so you could easily get five. I didn't have any cream cheese handy, so I opted to make a rhubarb/vanilla bean jam instead of the glaze. The recipe also called for self-rising flour which I do not use. I found a conversion online (adding baking powder and salt to AP flour) which worked just fine.


The result:delightful! The cake was moist, not too sweet with lots of Earl Grey flavor. I loved it with the jam, but it was just fine without it too. Next week: fresh strawberry cake!

Rhubarb/vanilla bean jam
1 lb rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
2 cups sugar
juice of 1 lemon
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped

Add all ingredients in a heavy pot and stir over low heat until the sugar disolves. Cook on medium heat until the mixtures boils and begins to gel, about 20 minutes. Stir regularly to avoid the rhubarb sticking to the pan and burning. Remove from heat and transfer to a glass jar and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...